Wow! This past week has been really busy…and really exhausting… a great excuse to take a few minutes for a simple soak.
What? You haven’t ever enjoyed a magnesium foot soak. Well it’s time to make that happen.
Magnesium is one of those absolutely necessary minerals for hundreds of functions of the body. Whether we’re talking about detoxification, muscle soreness and cramps, sleep, insulin sensitivity, bone building, anxiety and stress relief, energy production and cell function, brain function, heart function…you get my point. Magnesium is a major player, and, unfortunately, a major portion of the population is walking around deficient.
A few great sources that you might like to check out if you decide to dive deeply into health relating to magnesium include Dr. David Perlmutter, Dr. Mark Hyman, Dr. David Jockers, and Dr. Carolyn Dean to name a few.
You can typically find a few varieties of Epsom salts at your local grocery or pharmacy, which have Magnesium Sulfate as the base. Magnesium is usually bound to something else and vary in absorbability and useful benefits. Be aware that some can also cause loose stools.
Magnesium Chloride is another option that I recently saw at a local grocery just yesterday and can also be ordered online. I most often purchase this whopping 8 lb. bag of Ancient Minerals through Amazon Prime (yay for free shipping) to save me hauling it to the car and then into the house.
“Magnesium plays a key role in more than 300 of the body’s biochemical reactions. Because the mineral can affect so many things that women associate with day-to-day drains and aging, they get used to living with the symptoms” – Carolyn Dean, MD, ND
When we started enjoying these pleasant pockets of peace, we were using a container we had received from a hospital visit a long time ago that didn’t really fit the foot sizes of everyone in our home. We have since moved on to this larger and handled beauty where feet fit fantastically, the height keeps splashes contained (unless you decide to have a dance party), and it’s easy and quick to clean.
Magnesium Foot Soak
A relaxing indulgence that benefits sleep, stress management, muscle pain/soreness, etc.
- 1-2 scoops of Magnesium salts
- Clean, warm water to your comfort
- 4 drops of your favorite calming essential oil (optional)
- Put your Magnesium salts/flakes into a container big enough for both of your feet.
- Add warm water deep enough to cover your feet and low enough to avoid splashes onto your floor and safe for you to carry.
- Add your essential oil drops of choice. We usually prefer lavender.
- Set your container on the floor to enable you to sit comfortably for about 20 minutes.
- Be sure to check with your doctor, if you are under care for a health challenge.
- You might find it easier to wear shorts or loose sweats that can be easily rolled up.
- Don’t forget to remove all footwear.
- Be sure to have a towel handy to dry off when done.
Recipe by Elaine @ www.foodandlivingcoach.com
“It is an antidote to stress, the most powerful relaxation mineral available, and it can help improve your sleep.” Dr. Mark Hyman
You can definitely adapt this to a stress-relieving bath too. We just find foot soaks to be a bit more accommodating to our schedules and family activities.
A few drops of lavender add an aromatic component that can also fill the room wherever you are, definitely adding to the potential for a relaxing evening for the whole family as you enjoy time together.